“I feel like I get born-again a lot. I feel like I can easily drift into being dead as well. There’s a crusty shell we get as we get older that shuts us off from being blissfully oblivious. We’ve all been hurt. It’s a way of portraying the thing we often try to protect and hide our innocence as a strength.” -Jon Foreman

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

To Whom It May Concern

To whom it may concern:

Why do they make the shingles black?
Seems an ugly scar across the skyline, seems a boiling tar pit in the summer, seems a waste of color.
All monochrome 
All melancholy
And me 
So many were the times I waited there.

Only black to burn the hands and rough to grate the knuckles
And daring knees who scaled the drain pipe or the leaning shed out back.
All hot and baked, sun soft tiles
All rough and gritted pitch,
All empty
All black
And me
To wish into the autumn sunset and bleak midwinter sky
Oh many were the days I waited there

And as the summer fell away with light turned gold then slowly white,
To cast the shingles milky grey in fog.
I spread my arms across its warmth  and let the grit dig in my skin.
To take the last memory of sun 
To take the pain
To face the longing 
And learned to love the black
All empty 
All lonely
Like me
So many were the times I waited there

Now I've clambered back up here and wait on the black
I slipped a little on loose tar and cut my hand on a hail chipped edge.
A thin red line appears on my palm and the air around me turns as black as the roof,
All melting together.
And suddenly the stars seem close.
So close they're all around and I could reach them
Could pluck one down with my bloody fingers and hold it in my fist
Oh I wish... I wish...
...perhaps if I was taller
Or got a running start...

No comments:

Post a Comment