“I feel like I get born-again a lot. I feel like I can easily drift into being dead as well. There’s a crusty shell we get as we get older that shuts us off from being blissfully oblivious. We’ve all been hurt. It’s a way of portraying the thing we often try to protect and hide our innocence as a strength.” -Jon Foreman

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Baby Close Your Eyes


Behind the scrolling lines
Of professional overdub,
Someone is screaming.
The TV is muted
And only the colors catch my eye
As I stand in line
At the Delmar bubble tea,
Like the news would never touch my world
If I couldn't feel it touch me.
And somewhere between the
Coconut milk and bobas there is
Blood, blood, bomb, blood.
No what?
What?
More screaming,
But no sound.
And no words to find.
This time I’m
Watching
From the other side
Of the safety of a touch screen,
Like the digital projection was
Somehow my shield against
The reality
Of these events
That somehow I held in my palm
And pretended I could contain there.
Like maybe this was just a movie
That I could pause and rewind
Or pull up the blanket and cover my eyes
Like that
One day in eleventh grade U.S. History
Where they sat us all down in a darkened
Room to watch the bloodiest scene
In Saving Private Ryan.
And one by one we asked to use the restroom
Just to step outside the gore and breathe.
But this is real history,
Right now.
And right now my phone rings
And I answer like nothing is wrong.
Why the hell is nothing wrong?
No, no,
I’m fine.
I’m still alive.
How are you and what’s-his-name?
No, no, the cute one.
And this,
This is the fiction.
Desperate to pull it off as fact
I’ll reenact my sense of shallow
Invulnerability.
And this can’t be real life.
Because maybe it’s right to feel
That empty sense of twisted gut
And helpless horror
In the pit of my soul.
Rather than watch the big, bad world
From behind the careful crochet of a security blanket
And a voice that says
It’s far, far away.
But the wild, open eyes of a silent screamer
Caught in the bloody LCD
Of the Delmar bubble tea won’t
Stop asking me why.
And I don’t have an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment